Tasteless tomatoes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Tasteless tomatoes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Has anyone found this year’s tomatoes to be lacking in taste?? I wonder why?

Anne Wood
    Participant

Hello Kate,

Sorry to hear your tomatoes have been tasteless this year. I presume you are growing the same variety as normal and they have been disappointing. I have to say mine have been fine, I always grow Gardeners Delight. Charles speaks very highly of Sun Gold.

kate robinson
    Participant

I grew the same as last year but ofcourse that year was a disaster for tomatoes – so I was disappointed with the flavour this year…. Sungold, gardener’s delight, tigerella and lidi….? I wonder where Charles and you got your seeds from this time?

Anne Wood
    Participant

I always get my seed from KINGS SEED of COGGESHALL. Next year I am going to grow Sun Gold for the first time, as Charles says it is ready to eat very early. I shall also grow Gardeners Delight.

Did you do anything different with your tomatoes last summer? I think Charles is the best person to throw some light on the lack of flavour problem, I haven’t got a clue.

bluebell
    Participant

I had given my brother in law some chilli seedlings earlier this year, which he grew outside in his south coast garden, producing chillies that he described as lukewarm- he was eating them when he walked past the plant.

I grew mine on a west facing Bedfordshire windowsill and having an excess of fruit passed some on to said brother in law. He proceeded tool one in his mouth dispute my words of caution as to their heat and had to run for a glass of milk.

I would therefore suggest that flavour may be down to heat, watering or feeding rather than seed?

charles

Hi Kate, Anne,

I don’t think the year is to blame as sun and light levels have been good, so the leaves could send sugars to fruit. Maybe you were a bit keen watering? (presume you mean undercover tomatoes?) Also now that daylight is scarce, flavour is much reduced.

Gardeners Delight varies a lot in that my own g.d. this year were larger than normal and with less flavour than they normally have – from some seed I was given by… Thompson & Morgan. I am not growing them next year. Sweet Aperitif does well in taste tests. Black Russian was superb this year and of course, Sungold. Also Rosada, Apero.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags