Technique for planting out leeks grown in modules?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Technique for planting out leeks grown in modules?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

Charles

The leeks I sowed in modules have done very well and are ready to be transplanted out.

I guess there are two options:
    i. Plant them in the ground, then hill them up like potatoes to allow a longer length of stem to blanche.
    ii. Dig a deep trench, establish the modules in them and then back fill around the plants as they grow to achieve the good length of blanching.

As I don’t have a dibber the same size as 15 module squares, I reckon that approach won’t be possible.

Do you have any particular method that you follow with your modules when you plant them out?

peat
    Participant

The normal way to plant leeks is to make a hole and drop the leeks in. They are not back filled but watered in and soil is washed down to fill the hole. Use a bulb planter as deep as you can.

charles

Rhys I plant mine same depth as other modules and enjoy the leeks with pale green stems instead of white ones. They still grow long and taste plenty sweet enough.

Rhys
    Participant

Excellent Charles.

That’s good to know. I’ll do as you do and see what they taste like – I’m sure our tastes can’t be that different!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags