Thyme as ground cover for paths

Community Community Garden Problems Weeds Thyme as ground cover for paths

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Participant

Several years ago I made 4 raised beds that have paths between them that are 3 1/2″ wide. They are too wide and a pain to keep weed-free. I am thinking of planting thyme because I hear it is a great ground cover here in Idaho for sun. I would leave the very center 8″ of the path as dirt and hoe to keep it so. Does anyone know if a lot of weeds grow in thyme or other groundcovers?

If not, I could plant thyme or oregano on other paths that aren’t necessarily part of veggie garden. Just searching for easiest nmethod for weed-free paths…

My dream is to be able to walk barefoot on my paths and in my garden (without fear of being stung as I have a beehive). Last year I was stung three times on the feet from walking around barefoot because we have a lot of clover. I could plant clover in paths around yard but then put stepping stones down to walk on. Clover may be better at keeping weeds at bay then thyme…I want to keep paths between veggie beds just dirt though.

charles

Yes Beth a lot of weeds can grow in thyme, but regular weeding at first, to ‘clean’ the soil of its weed-seeds, can make it manageable eventually. Ptince Charles likes thyme at Highgrove and apparently spends quite a bit of time weeding it, fragrantly!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags