Tomato Blight

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Tomato Blight

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Big D 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Big D
    Participant

Have had to destroy all the tomato crop due to blight on our plot and the allotment site in general. Very disappointing. Presumably there is no organic preventative for future use?

Would growing under plastic cover on the bed system help prevent blight next year?

Big D

charles

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes. I have given up growing them outdoors BUT if you can keep the leaves dry, with a cover as you suggest, then blight should be prevented from infecting plants. It only enters leaves and stems that are consistently wet, from about mid June when there is enough warmth. Good luck, let us know how it works!
    PS you can compost the blighted leaves and stems (I do always – and indoor toms & potatoes are all blight free this year)), the spores do not carry over through soil or compost, only arrive in humid air.

Big D
    Participant

We will definitely try that method next year as we are not allowed greenhouses on our plots. I hadn’t realised that we could compost the infected plants as perceived wisdom always suggests burning or disposing off-site.

Alan McAteer
    Participant

Have you contacted your local council for permission to erect a greenhouse on your plot? My wife and I had the same problem with growing tomatoes outdoors and so we contacted our local council and they agreed that we could erect a greenhouse so long as it was not permanently fixed ( i.e. no concrete base or foundations) and was not constructed of glass. We bought a lovely 8×6 polycarbonate traditional styled greenhouse for just under £200 and this has been on our plot for 2 seasons now and has given us a great crop of tomatoes and cucumbers.

Amac

Big D
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Amac – great idea but our allotments are 200 years old and belong to a charity and no structures such as greenhouses or sheds are allowed so will try a smaller structure in plastic that I might be able to get away with.

I think some cover is going to be necessary next year.

Big D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags