Tomato problem – curling top leaves, slow growth

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Tomato problem – curling top leaves, slow growth

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  al 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Steve
    Participant

Hello,

So after following Charles’ wonderful advice, I managed to hot compost through to winter and get down a good few inches (with a bit of store bought compost to bulk up up) Up to now things have been amazing.

A few days ago top tomato leaves starting curling up and then twisting. The growth also seems to have slowed down – they don’t seem to be growing much taller currently at about 40-50cm. (they are indeterminate varieties) Some flower buds are showing, the leaves are a dark green and seem almost thick and bumpy on some. (affecting almost all varieties in different beds)

They were sown and grown indoors in store bought compost and transferred to the garden about 2 weeks ago.

I’m a bit worried it might be some herbicide – foolishly I picked up about 100 litres of 6-8 month old horse manure that I mixed into the compost about 2 weeks before spreading on the ground – I didn’t ask if the hay had been sprayed (a small amount compared the total compost). I have read posts about aminopyralid and other terrible chemicals – I researched I might be overwatering or maybe too much sun (We’ve had about a 5 days in the 30 degrees with no rain)

I have used shredded paper as a mulch to try and help keep the soil cool and retain moisture.

This is my first no dig / veg garden so it’s all new for me so any advice appreciated.

Hopefully the pictures will show what I mean:)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Sandra
    Participant

I have had problems with my growing this year, everything just stood still. My leeks are not much bulkier than a hair pulled out of my head, They are nowhere near to planting stage and as I sowed them – I think – in April, I don’t think they will do much good if I did. I am convinced that it was the compost that I bought, and I am assuming weed killer or some such.

Then I sowed a second batch of ppeas and I sowed them into biggish pots. The few that did germinate looked very much to me as though they had glyphosate weed killer, pale to cream leaves and obvious to me. I have used Roundup before and thats what it looks like to me.

Your tomatoes don’t look bad to me, but difficult to see them properly on my tablet. Have you tried unrolling one of the leaves? I wondering if there might be an insect inside there trying to make a home for itself maybe?

I haven’t grown tomatoes for a very long time, but I am sure that I have had a similar thing with my tomatoes in years gone by ( haven’t grown any vegetables or tomatoes here since 2014/2015. I do know that mine were ok in the end. So there must be someone else who will be able to help you with this conundrum, and I wish you a happy ending .

charles

Steve they look alright to me. Sometimes tomatoes ‘roll their leaves’ when nights are cooler and this looks like ‘leaf roll’ which slows growth a little, but is not a major issue.

Steve
    Participant

Thanks Sandra – Couldn’t find any pests or insects, will keep an eye on it though. I will be sure to ask next time I get some manure just in case.

Thanks Charles – I hope you are right and it is just leaf roll:) nights have been warm for last 2 weeks but maybe a night or two dipped below 10c. A couple of top stems / leaves is twisting in a corkscrew like manner (That’s the best way I can describe it)

Hopefully the growth will pick back up and the newer leaves wont be so thick and leathery.

Thanks again!

Steve
    Participant

I thought I would just add a couple of extra pictures for clarity and reference in case anybody else has a similar problem to me.

Attachments:

Backyard garden
    Participant

Just wanted to say please keep us posted on what happens with your tomatoes and if they recover! I had a similar problem with the bottom leaves on my tomatoes curling all up and it worried me as we live right by a corn field and they sprayed the field with chemicals, I wondered if some got on my tomatoes but they seem to have recovered, so as Charles says it was probably “leaf roll” from when the nights were cooler where I live. Or maybe it was chemicals either way they seemed to have pulled through! But would love to see how yours do!
    The pictures I have posted show one of the leaves that I didn’t trim off the plant and then the top of the same plants completely healthy (you can also see how close the corn field is!) so good luck I hope your tomatos recover good!!

Backyard garden
    Participant

Here are the pictures sorry They are a little blurry I downsized the files!

Attachments:

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Steve,

As Charles states, what you have is a temperature issue. The variance between day (30) and night (10) temperatures is causing the problem, it is not something to be over concerned about. Tomatoes do not like huge variations in temperature, which is what you are currently experiencing. The plant will recover once temperatures even out.

Don.

Steve
    Participant

The leaves look similar, so I will certainly try to let you know how it looks in a couple of weeks or so. Your corn is look very vibrant;) Much better than mine at the moment.

Don – Thanks, nature seems to be sorting itself out, so for now the tomatoes look like they might be ok – just doing their own thing:)

al
    Participant

Hi Steve thanks for posting this I was just about to post a question about what appears to be the same issue with my tomatoes. I attach some pics. Leaves look perfectly healthy not a bug in sight just all curled up! I have had the side vents of my polytunnel open so will try closing them. Good luck with your tomatoes
    Alastair

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags