Top tips for Apple Thinning

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Top tips for Apple Thinning

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Thierry
    Participant

Hello,

I have 2 or 3 year old apple trees. I have followed Charles’ advice on planting and first year, and was keen to thin the fruit now… someone told me to wait for the June fruit drop to be completely finished, so I can pick the right fruit.
    Has anyone any tip into selecting the right apple fruit from a cluster? The bigger one, healthier one or on in the middle?
    Thanks a lot.

beverley
    Participant

HI Thierry

Thanks for raising this – I need to do mine too! Follow this link to find what the RHS has to say about thinning apples https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=340

Cheers
    Beverley

charles

Thierry I thin most clusters to one and often remove the large central one which has a short stalk, which would make it more difficult to pick for storage. Then leave the next largest, and as soon as possible now.

Rhys
    Participant

I did my apple thinning much earlier this year, in early June, just after the drop started to occur. Due to a very sunny May, fruit were well advanced, allowing thinning to proceed.

As a result, fruit are much larger, much earlier this year, which suggests that thinning as early as practicable may have some value.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags