treating timber

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables treating timber

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  macson 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

well ive made the decision to edge my raised beds. i have got the timber which is decking boards. it has been treated with tanalith e by timber merchant. im going to also treat with osmo wood protector do you think this is sufficient protection.

charles

Oh yes!

macson
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    Just building my raised beds now with 45mm X 220mm timber treated with Tanalith. I’ve been researching what to treat the timber with as an extra as I’d like them to last a long time. The OSMO treatment looks expensive, but I’m sure it will do a good job. I’ve come across a product called Bird Brand Ecosote that promises that it is non-toxic. It is said to contain 2 active ingredients (boron & biocide). Firstly do you think this would be safe to use and secondly, is it actually worth doing it as the timber is already treated with Tanalith? I would at least like to treat the edges that have been cut. I’m keen to get the beds made and get them filled. Thanks in advance. I wonder if anyone on the forum has used this before.

charles

Hello macson, I wonder if you need to use any other product on your timber that is already treated.
    I have not heard of that product. Perhaps simply brush linseed oil on any cut ends.

macson
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    Thank you for your advice. I’m glad you mentioned Linseed Oil. The wood I have has a lot of splits in it, (well that’s what pine does!) so I was thinking about pushing linseed oil putty into the splits and gaps so there are less homes for the slugs. I’ll then paint the ends and any damages with the linseed oil. I’ll let you know in 10 years if it works out 🙂
    I love the way that one can improvise with gardening, rather than there being specific rules as you can always adapt guidelines to your own situation with what materials you have or can afford. When the raised beds are ready, I shall refer to your books to decide what to sow and plant for this time of year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags