Watering

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

dragonette

Hello

Now that the weather is scorching hot, my plants have finally started to grow (a good 6 weeks late). I was wondering if it was worth watering some of them. My soil is clay and I don’t normally bother. However I have small plants such as beetroots and french beans that are very small and I don’t want to lose them. My courgettes and pumpkins are growing fast, will the dry weather stop them in their track?

Many thanks

charles

Very difficult to answer this with the information you give, It depends on your soil type and organic matter added, is it a compost mulch on top? Heavy or light soil?

dragonette

My soil is heavy clay with some compost added but not as much as I’d like. I have only had the plot a year. I can see that the larger plants won’t need watering as the soil is still moist a few centimetres down. I’m not so sure about the little ones and I am wondering if some plants benefits from extra water (courgettes?).

Many thanks

charles

Watering is an art and each plant has different needs – yet rain just drops the same on them all and they cope!

Courgettes are indeed thirsty and may benefit from some water now if you are ‘under-composted’. I am not watering mine, partly because I want a few air pores to develop where the soil has been so full of water. There is still plenty of moisture deeper down, but young plants whose roots have not got there yet are the most likely to benefit from some careful watering.

Jimmy
    Participant

I just started watching your videos, I don’t see any drip lines ? do you water with a sprinkler ?? *** is the a vidio you made on how you recommend watering ??? nature’s way from the top LOL ??

charles

Jimmy I water by hand, cans and occasionally using a hose.
    Our climate is often damp, and no dig + compost mulch holds moisture well.
    Yes I am happy to water from on top, preferably early morning when there is a dew as well. Then the surface is dry by evening, means less slugs and mildew.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags