Weed membrane

Community Community Garden Problems Weeds Weed membrane

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I am sure I have seen discussion on here about a biodegradable membrain to suppress weeds? Since it looks as if I may get another very overgrown half plot at a time when I do not really have capacity to do much with it, I am looking at alternatives to card. Since it is deep in weeds I thought to cut it back and cover in as much manure asi ca get my hands on then something like mypex and plant through with squash next June.

John
    Participant

Hi Bluebell

I had a similar query, taking over a new very overgrown plot and wanting to get rid of weeds. You will find my post and Charles’ response here – link to post

I have not heard of BIODEGRADABLE membrane; it is useful to be able to reuse it.

Good luck with your new plot.

John

charles

Membranes have their uses but I avoid where possible. Overgrown allotment sounds a good place to use e.g. mypex, though its expensive.
    The biodegradable membrane lets enough light through that perennial weeds keep growing underneath, more slowly but they survive. I think its designed to keep annual weeds at bay.
    Also I have not seen much evidence of it degrading, I suspect this takes a long time, and it looks unsightly while doing so.

bluebell
    Participant

Many thanks will probably split the difference and use a combination of what is available for as much as possible and looking at cost it may be cheaper to invest in an extre load of compost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags