What killed my cucumbers?

Community Community Garden Problems Disease What killed my cucumbers?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  al 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

al
    Participant

Hi everyone I had 6 healthy specimens grown from seed and planted them out in the polytunnel The leaves went brown then they got this odd material like a very fine spiders web on them which seems to have white dots in it maybe some sort of aphid? Diagnostic tips appreciated- please see pic!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

JD
    Participant

Wow,never seen that before. How crushing. Can’t tell whether it’s compost or droppings in the area near the stem. I know of various moth species who spin webs but I can’t see anything has been nibbled. The other classic is red spider mite that makes webs, but as I haven’t got a polytunnel or greenhouse I’ve never seen it ‘in the flesh’. Hopefully someone else will know exactly what it is.
    Good luck
    Jan

charles

Al it looks like severe rd spider mite.
    Your greenhouse must be full of it and aubergines are v susceptible too.

al
    Participant

Sorry only just seen these replies – thankyou. Now that’s interesting because the aubergine leaves are not healthy either and the same happened last year with the aubergines though they are producing fruit OK. I woulld like to avoid removing the aubergine plants til they have fruited. Any tips for control appreciated – anyone tried biological controls?

al
    Participant

So I have sacrificed all my melon plants which were clearly also affected and burnt them. Chickens loved the unripe melons!

My aubergine photos are attached I can’t see any of the spiders web stuff on them but leaves are mottled and there are white insects and greenfly visible on the back of the leaves (see pic)

I don’t think these are red spider mites having looked at somme pics online.

Dare I keep the aubergines? Should I just grow tomatoes next year?

Thanks for any pointers

Alastair

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags