What’s eating my cabbages

Community Community Garden Problems Pests What’s eating my cabbages

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tim 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

JD
    Participant

My overwintering cabbages are in a raised bed with wooden sides and covered with fleece. When I checked on them yesterday many had missing leaves and one had been completely gnawed through to the middle.
    Would this be mice? Or (horror) their larger cousins? Or maybe rabbits?
    As I’ve had a huge problem with moles this year, could it be that rats are using their tunnels to gain access? I haven’t seen any damage to the fleece.
    Will try to attach photo but may not be successful.
    Regards Jan

JD
    Participant

Don’t know why I can’t attach photos. I could earlier in the year using the same phone camera.

charles

Jan I suspect your camera settings have somehow altered and 99% of problems are from the photos being too large. It should give options to resize and “Medium” is sufficient.
    I wonder if it could be squirrels. Unsure how to stop them.

Tim
    Participant

Hi There, I’ve some lovely perennial kale from grown form a cutting that is being eaten, but I don’t know by what (photo attached). I have some netter PSB that has been nibbled too, but only from points that would be accessible from outside the netted area. I’m suspecting it might be pigeons. Anyone have any further thoughts. I can’t see any other pests. Thanks greatly for any advice.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Tim it’s pigeons – the jagged edges. Somehow, keep your net further away from the leaves, but the kale will survive.

Tim
    Participant

Thanks, Charles, very helpful, I will do!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags