Why no snails?

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Why no snails?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Parmdeep

Hi

I moved into this house nearly two years ago and started to grow veg in the ground and in containers. I find it strange that I’ve seen no snails at all last year and about one the year before. No slugs either. I did see the odd toad (or frogs) in the garden from time to time but surely they can’t keep the snail population that low. The old man who lived here before us was here for thirty years and the garden was mainly shrubs and lawn.

I have not needed to use any snail and slug prevention methods. I do have plenty of other pests having a go at my leaves but not found a slug or snail on anything.

Why do you think this could be? Its not a problem really (or is it?). I just find it strange and I’m interested in how it has happened.

charles

What a lovely problem!! I wonder what your walls are made of? We are limestone here and snails feel right at home, living and breeding amongst the stones. Perhaps you are granite?

Last year was relatively slug free but not to the extent you describe, and since November there has been good breeding weather for molluscs, so spring sowings and plantings may be tricky in sluggy areas.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags