winter lettuce

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables winter lettuce

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Budd 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Has anyone else had problems with winter lettuce this year? They had established well but then when they were about 4 inches tall we had a very cold wind and they all looked a bit sorry for themselves. However now they are looking even worse after a couple of frosts and are being decimated by slugs.
    I would normally expect some damage to outer leaves but have never had this level of damage before.

charles

Hi bluebell, I suspect the mild autumn has brought them on too fast and so their growth is long and sappy, hence vulnerable to winds, then plants become weak and susceptible to slugs.
    It may help to pick off the outer leaves and leave them as small seedlings to ‘start over’.

Pete Budd
    Participant

I have had mixed results with winter lettuce in the past due to weather conditions. My first attempt at protection with fleece failed miserably, it just encouraged slugs and fungal activity. If I leave them outdoors and the weather turns very cold; growth stops and the plants suffer. My current method is; sow in pots in September with minimal protection mainly to keep heavy rain off, the pots are stood off the ground (slugs!), plant in soil under glass when greenhouse becomes available (November), water sparingly. This winter I am trying some in 9cm sq pots also under glass. I dont have a major problem with slugs and snails for now and I still have some “Marvel of 4 Seasons” in a well ventilated cold frame but it seems to me that wet conditions cause most problems. I have been growing “Winter Crop” for a couple of years now, a nice lettuce and its done very well.

Cheers

Pete

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Charles and Pete. I was a bit surprised as they have been very good for me the last couple of years (except when I was far too nice to them and covered them with fleece).
    thankfully there is nothing more than salad depending on them.

charles

A quick word for Grenoble Red if you can find seeds, I find it so resistant to frost and slugs. Although its a hearting variety, it responds well to regular picking of outer leaves.

Pete Budd
    Participant

I`ll look out for that one, thanks Charles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags