10" mulch on pasture planted – docks coming through….

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground 10" mulch on pasture planted – docks coming through….

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kevin Bath
    Participant

Hi there,

Late this winter we built 6 new 5′ x 15′ raised beds created on what was previously pasture land, and filled with 10 inches depth of shipped in fresh compost (10 tonnes in all). Although – seems I wasn’t thorough enough with my removal of docks! A couple of the beds are now constantly providing a fresh supply of dock leaves.

I’m cutting them out – like asparagus – as deep as I can – but the beds are already planted with Asparagus and onions, so I’m not keen on removing all 10 inches of growing medium to get at the original ‘root’ system.

Will concerted regular removal of the leaves weaken them eventually? Or is it a losing battle and I should dig out the mulch and remove the roots?

charles

Hi Kevin, yes dock roots store much energy,blow ever I think you should see the end of them by say August, through regular leaf removal.

Kevin Bath
    Participant

Thanks for the speedy reply! I’ll keep on top of it then – rather than digging the lot out. At the very least I’m topping up the compost heap with dock leaves. They are hardly little sh*ts though – pushing though 10 inches of compost surprised me.

RandA
    Participant

Kevin

we have the same problem and it does work eventually. When you find the wind has seeded tiny docks they are easy to pull out of compost but the big ones keep trying to grow, we have just pulled one out of a 5 foot pile of wookdchips the dock appeared on the top of the pile from the ground amazing!!!

KevL
    Participant

Maybe not completely PC but I took on a dock-infested allotment last year so I sprayed with Round-Up, covered with black polythene for 4 months and then 2/3 inches of very well rotted manure. So far not a single dock since.

Anonymous

I had the similar problem. And i just solved that 7 week ago. But the most serious problem right here will be
    a large number of trash that is why we hired rubbish removal company from London.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags