A bed of leaf mulch – what next please?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground A bed of leaf mulch – what next please?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

weedkiller

Hi everybody, I have recently got an allotment that was neglected for a few years thus was full of weeds. I have turned the soil over, de-weeded some parts but I cant get rid off the weeds completely and then fortunately discovered this site – no digging. So, went back to my allotment and placed a good few inches of leaf mulch on top of the turned over soil that is very weedy (I think a few inches I cant get the spade through the mulch easily). Anyway now I want to plant strawberries on one of the leaf mulched bed. What shall I do? I do have well rotted horse manure (it does not have a smell and you cant tell what it is other than the straw in it). I do not want to spend any more money on buying compost. The soil under the leaf mulch is very heavy clay and gets water clogged easily. Shall I place the horse manure I have on the leaf mulch and just plant the strawberry plants? What about the rest of the vegetables I want to grow such as potatoes, beans, carrots, radishes, tomatoes etc…? Spring is only a couple of months away! Any rapid advice is greatly appreciated.

charles

Yes spring is indeed coming but there is time in spring to wait a little too, for instance before planting courgettes and summer beans in May or early June.

For now, I would indeed spread your manure on the leaf mould, as soon as you can so that frost can soften the lumps and make a surface for sowing and planting into. 

Early potatoes will grow well in all that and then you can plant leeks, purple sprouting broccoli or whatever after their harvest. Carrots may be tricky unless the manure is really well broken down, but it sounds as though it is.

weedkiller

Thank you very much Charles. I now have more queries.

1) I was going to spread the manure but one of the experienced allotmenteers told me if I spread the manure now, all the nutrients will be washed down due to the rain. Does that mean then that by the time spring comes I will not have much nutrients in the soil? Also I have been reading and watching youtube videos on vegetable growing and now a bit confused, some say that not all vegetables like manure. Does that mean when it is fully rotten down it is no longer classified as manure, ie it is soil then? More light shedding on this matter is greatly appreciated.

2) From your previous post, I understand that I should plant vegetables that tollerate the conditions of the soil as it is now (with leaf mulch and manure) until it becomes fine tilth for those vegetables that like fine tilth. Am I right in understanding it like that?

Thank you once again.

weedkiller

I found the answer to my previous post in the following link:

http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/content/october-2012

I am so happy, now I feel I can burry my weeds under inches of manure happily and not worry about nutrients lost due to rain. This also means that my worry about my allotment being full of weeds (and how on earth I am going to de-weed it – hence the name weedkiller!)is hopefully over. I am not going to de-weed anything, I am just going to pile my manure on it and starv it to death (well that is the plan now anyway).

charles

Fair questions.

Problem is there is a lot of misinformation out there and I think a lot of experienced gardeners see it wrong, for instance they equate manure with chemical fertiliser, which does indeed leach, its great weakness.

What do we mean by manure? I use the word for older, composted, dark manure, not fresh faeces from which the nutrients can be leached, to some extent anyway, which is why dairy farmers treat slurry like a nitrogen fertiliser.

The point in organic gardening is to spread older, composted (not necessarily perfect) manure and compost, which HOLDS ONTO ITS NUTRIENTS UNTIL WARMTH AND ROOTS CAN MOBILISE THEM.

All my experience points to this, and although a few nutrients may be washed out, the main part stay.

How otherwise could I be showing pics on this site of such abundance? I use no other fertilsers, organic or whatever, except some very occasional rockdust and seaweed.

Some of the problem here is language and for anyone else who is confused, be clear yourself and ask what other people mean by "manure"!

Your second point is also a question of language, I mean more that certain seeds and seedlings may struggle in lumpier conditions, but all vegetables should thrive in your beds, once they are underway. Giving advice here is tricky as I cannot see your beds and your manure and in fact the surface may be suitable for sowing everything, especially after the frost.

weedkiller

Your advice is greatly appreciated. As a new gardner it is easy to misunderatsnd anything.

I have read a fair amount of your website and I am planning to follow the approaches I have read to organic gardening. I am now in the process of ordering a couple of tonnes of more rotted manure to make sure the allotment is 4 to 6 inches of it covered.

Thanks once again.

Sahira Ward

Hi weedkiller

Before you order your manure have a read of this

http://www.glallotments.co.uk/acmanure.html

Good luck with your plot

Sahira

charles

Fair point but also remember that nearly all manure is UNcontaminated…. if worried, sow some peas, lettuce and tomato in the manure in a seed tray in a warm place, then if growth is healthy after three to four weeks, the manure is clean.

Fortunately aminopyralid weedkiller is expensive and beyond the means of most farmers.

weedkiller

Thanks Sahira and Charles, I did read some thing about that issue somewhere on the website. I did think of asking the supplier of where he is getting his manure from, but how can I be sure he is telling the truth! Unfortunately we live in a world of money making even if it means lying. Or maybe he does not even know if the farm on which the horses were fed from grass sprayed with that stuff. If I got it, tested it and found it did have those chemicals, what am I going to do with 2 tonnes of it!

Dear Charles
    Further on this thread and relating to ‘what is manure’. We had difficulty getting a supply of manure at the end of last year so we have only just had it delivered, it is not well rotted (from clearing out cattle that have been indoors since november). Our beds are mostly covered with plastic or carpet to suppress last years weeds! Should we put the fresh stuff under the weed suppressant coverings or spread it without covering or leave it in a covered heap to rot ? Thank you for this wonderful site and your marvellous books!

charles

Hi Jonathan, glad you like the site and books.

On the whole I would pull back the covers and spread this manure under them, to feed soil life and give you a better soil for when your weeds are finally gone. I am unsure when you put the covers on, what weeds etc and that affects the answer, also what you plan to grow because spreading strawy manure can make it tricky to grow carrots and salads because of slugs and the difficulty of sowing small seeds. Best look on it a part of a "long term clean up" and grow squash family, brassicas, potatoes etc this year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags