Advice on using fleece for protection

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Advice on using fleece for protection

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BenF 5 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

BenF
    Participant

Hi,

It’s my first year no dig at my allotment and I’ve been using fleece to protect my early plantings. I am using 30/35gsm fleece. It certainly seems to be protecting my crops well enough from the cold winds my plot is exposed to. However, it feels very dry under there and some leaves (not many) have turned yellow on things like radish and pea shoots, is this to be expected?

Wondering if I should be watering at all as we aren’t getting much rain at the moment.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Sausage
    Participant

Water it if you’re worried. 30/35gsm fleece will get quite warm in some of the sunny spells we’ve had in March and April, between the wind, hail and snow that is. Luckily you can just water through the fleece without folding it back, which is handy.

BenF
    Participant

Water came back on at the allotment today so it’s all had a good water. The growth is good on everything and damage is pretty minimal. Really pleased.

There is no way I’d get anywhere near that amount of growth at this time of year on top of a hill in Yorkshire. The cold winds we get just dry anything out. It’s been well worth the effort (so far!).

Carrie
    Participant

Hi Charles and everyone
    I have pea seedlings of various sorts outside under fleece on my allotment in Suffolk. I know your advice has been to keep fleece on even in warmer weather right now as the warmth it retains is more important. But the forecast for the next few days is for very sunny warm days and I’m wondering if they will cook under there. Should we fold it back?
    Your advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Carrie

earthnut
    Participant

I’ve never had anything cook under fleece. Under solid plastic, yes. But not under fleece. It’s breathable. I use fleece as pest control even in the middle of summer.

Carrie
    Participant

Thanks, that’s good to know.

BenF
    Participant

Hi Carrie,

I uncovered mine this weekend. It’s been very hot. There is very little wind here and I wanted to give things a really good water. Things were getting very dry. I covered my brassicas with mesh over hoops and will probably leave them on now.

We’ve had no rain near me for about a month now. Hence the moor fires on Ilkley moor!

I suppose it depends on what your local conditions have been like.

Picked my first nodig salad today. Very pleased with my pea shoots!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags