alpine strawberries from seed

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing alpine strawberries from seed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gj 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I confess Im at a loose end with this snow on the ground and this years plantings planned and no work today. Having sorted my sowing list I see that the alpine strawberry seeds say you can sow from Jan through to April. I have never tried strawberries from seed so should I hold off sowing till it is a bit warmer?

I dont have anywhere heated to grow this year due to kittens likley to investigate things sown on window sill so grow house will be in high demand.

Sahira Ward

Hi Bluebell

Are alpine strawberries the same as wild strawberries if so they are growing on my plot and you are welcome to have some if you want.

Regards

Sahira

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Sahira
    Thanks for the offer, I have the seed – one of those impulse buys! So I will happily just see what happens. I think they should be quite hardy!

gj
    Participant

I’ve been told to sow mine about now but with a bit of gentle heat and leave the seeds on the top of the compost as they need light. I understand that they can be very slow to get going but will romp away when warmer weather comes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags