Ants and a Slow Worm in my Compost

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Ants and a Slow Worm in my Compost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

I opened up a dalek type compost bin yesterday and found an ants nest. I started to mix the compost with my fork and discovered a slow worm. Do slow worms eat ants or would it be better to move him (or her) to my open pallet type bins. I would hate to hurt the slow worm whilst mixing the compost and also I believe they are a protected species.

Leif
    Participant

I would worry that the slow worm had laid eggs. Not sure what time of year that occurs.

Hawfinch
    Participant

They, apparently, don’t lay eggs but give birth to young, when that is I don’t know. I am so lucky to have several in my garden, they love lying on the composting horse manure where I just leave them under a tarpaulin. Now that you know they are there, I would just be careful when turning the compost, they usually slither away very quickly and then return once peace has returned to their “home”.

Leif
    Participant

Thanks Hawfinch. Oddly enough when I recently saw some at a friends house, it was under a tarpaulin, placed over a large pile of rotting poo.

jjat8cv
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. Apparantly slow worms do eat ants (though probably not in the numbers I have got). I think I will leave the bin alone until after about September when the slow worms should have reproduced if they are going to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags