Ants eggs in the compost

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Ants eggs in the compost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marjorie HAYNES 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Marjorie HAYNES
    Participant

I was clearing the compost from the bins in my old house to use on a flower bed in our new house and I found it riddled with small white ‘things’ that looked like semolina. I am thinking they may be ants eggs (I have had ants in one of the bins before but no evidence of live ants now). If they are ants eggs will it be OK to use the compost or do I need to continue composting.
    Thanks

charles

Marjorie that sounds more like slug eggs. I would spread it and birds/beetles etc should eat them.

Marjorie HAYNES
    Participant

Thank you Charles, I have looked up slug and ants eggs on Google (sorry I should have done that first) and my flecks are definitely not either of these. Mine look like corse talcum powder, raw semolina or raw ground rice. They are a fraction of a mm, I would say a 1/10mm. The compost is riddled with them.I would be grateful if anyone can help me identify them and suggest whether or not the compost is useable.
    Thanks

charles

I don’t know but think it’s unlikely to be anything that justifies not using the compost.

Marjorie HAYNES
    Participant

thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags