Apricot

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Apricot

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tess

Hello again, am now looking to also grow an apricot up our s-e facing back wall. However a concrete path runs directly next to the house with a small wall and raised bed approx 3′ away. So, ‘thinking out of the box’ was planning on growing an apricot over a metal arch then up the wall! Do you think this would be possible?! Charles, what rootstock was the Flavorcot apricot on at Lower Farm – I remember it being quite vigorous. Thanks Tess

charles

I would knock out some concrete and put it in a small hole to restrict its vigour. The standard Torinel rootstock makes a crazily vigorous tree, mine was 20 feet high in three years, with being pruned. Order a tree now for next autumn as they always run short.

davidk
    Participant

Scary, yesterday I was looking @ my Apricot tree, It’s got lots of big shinny buds on it,
    For the last 2 years it has produced wonderful Apricots of all sizes from huge4″ down to 1″ diameter fruits, yes they are very delicious too, so much so that one has to keep checking. Yes the tree has been well composted around, given a bit of worm fluid & ocaisional human too. I do grow it with a competing Rambling Rector(& me hacking back under control). It’s along a south wall with a little overhanging gutterabove, @ 300′ in Hereford. Yes I feel I’m due a bad year where the flowers don’t time it right with the frosts….we will find out soon enough, as my Apricot tree is the first fruit of the year by miles. & I guess the bees like them to because it’s warm & fragrant.

i like roses in my fruit trees & this winter I found why I really like them in fruit trees, the deer seem to leave them alone, but this year I went on a rose pruning spree because they were dominating everywhere especially the hedges, well the deer have had a field day & lots of trees look upset! Going to have to hang human hair everywhere.

Looking forward to delicious Apricots!!

charles

David, impressive!
    And best of luck with those deer, a difficult pest.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags