Asparagus drooping?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Asparagus drooping?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles. Whilst my asparagus plants are doing well (Jersey Knight and Pacific Purple in third year in position, fifth year since sowing) the first shoots come up well and then an odd one shrivels up and droops over, whilst the crown continues kicking out new and healthy growth. What is happening here? Too dry, warmth triggered premature growth, normal behaviour of asparagus….just interested if there is a reason.

Hope all well, Tris

charles

Not sure Tris but it could be because it’s so early, perhaps some frost damage to some spears, while frost does not affect the crown.
    My early spears are a little tough, grown too slowly I think. It’s really not the season, and the cooler weather will halt most growth for a while, not a problem. The main season still awaits.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thank you. It has been incredibly early this year, the first spear emerging sometime mid March. Still resisting eating mine this year but will defo be trying a few spears next season! You are right what you say in your book – the time has passed quickly since sowing them in March 2012…a long term crop for sure. Patience is a virtue…sure hope so when it comes to the first taste next year! Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags