asparagus location

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing asparagus location

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I am planning to buy asparagus plants for my plot and when planning where to plant them I have a bit of a dilemma. How to balance the degree of light and shelter.

I am on a windy hill top and have read that they like a bit of protection. However the most protected area that I could plant them is sheltered from the north by a shed and the west by a poly tunnel – will they have enough light here? Or should I risk a more exposed site to get stronger spears?

Karen
    Participant

Hey Bluebell,

We have 7 beds of asparagus plants grown in 3 different spots of our garden. Some in direct sunlight and others in a more shadier, sheltered spot and some in between direct and shade depending on the time of the day.

Those in direct sunlight are definitely more vigorous, my best bet would be in direct sunlight and if you are able to plant them in a good load of composted animal manure, I reckon it would do just great.

Alternatively, if you can afford the space, why not grow in the 2 different spots…. Green asparagus are definitely worth growing.

Just my humble opinion.

charles

Good points by Karen.
    Its windy here sometimes and asparagus benefits from either staking each plant when the summer ferns are tall, or running a wire either side of the row, so the stems do not snap off at the base if blown over.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m also planning to make an asparagus bed, the seeds were sown this spring and are now ready to be planted out. What would be the best way to plant them, directly in the composted manure, or should one dig it – I know – in first, is it at all possible to do no-dig asparagus? I would really like to get it right this time, I have some beds already, but the yield has never been very good and I think it’d mainly because of poor nutrition and not properly preparing the bed before planting. So any ideas would be welcome.

Karen
    Participant

Definitely just directly into the composted manure. Our very first asparagus bed planted 4 years ago, they were 1st year crowns were just planted directly into the bed completely only of composted horse manure.

We have 2 beds that were started out as seeds and they too are doing brilliantly as they were also planted directly into composted horse manure.

Think you need to plant them out sooooooon, as they might not have time to establish before winter comes.

As for your current beds, think they will do brilliantly once you add some composted manure. We had asparagus growing out of our ears this year! ha!

Remember…. no dig! 🙂

Hawfinch
    Participant

Thanks Karen, better get spreading then, I have quite a big pile of composted horse manure. I’m sure you all looked very fetching with the asparagus growing out of the ears ;-)))

Karen
    Participant

haha! You bet! 🙂

We had such abundance this year that we were able to introduce and share our harvests with many friends and acquaintances and I gotta say that we have definitely converted many of them to green asparagus. I suspect that if freshly harvested green asparagus (NOT those store bought ones that were flown in from South America that is often found in supermarkets) were introduced here in Germany, the white asparagus might just become obsolete!

My husband and I can never fathom why the Germans only eat white asparagus and we have come across so many people who has never had green ones before. Truly odd! Moreover, so much more work is involved in growing white asparagus (hilling and covering with soil and covering with black or white mulch) and they need to be peeeeeeeled too! And quite often the white asparagus tastes bitter too.

It is truly mind boggling!

Good luck with the planting…. do let us know how it goes 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags