Asparagus Spacing Advice

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Asparagus Spacing Advice

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Thomas
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have 9 asparagus ‘Mary Washington’ plants, currently spaced 3 in a row 12″ apart with 36″ between rows. They were planted from seed in June 2016, so about 2 and half years old now.

I’m looking to move them to a new location but I’m not sure what spacing I should plant them at now. How much more room will they need as they mature?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Thomas,
    I’ve been warned against moving Asparagus, as it can let in disease through cut roots.
    My answer would be … it depends how much of a rootball you get up with them. I wouldn’t put them more than 18″ apart.
    BR
    Neil

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Guys,

how long have the plants been in final position Thomas?

What’s your reasoning Neil for that maximum 18” spacing?

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Stringfellow,
    correct me if Im wrong, but when I lift Asparagus, the roots can be re-oriented at 90 degrees to the row, so they can be encouraged away from each other, thus more plants can go closer together.
    Your views?

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Neil. Don’t really understand that but stranger things have happened; don’t plants root outwards in an omnidirectional fashion?

Very large spacings seem to be favoured by professionals, and these plants can live up to twenty years plus, hence allowing for future growth/ expansion of the crowns. I’m not sure if lifting established crowns for replanting would be a false economy, or if starting with new, one year old crowns is a better bet? Thoughts?

charles

I find that a wider spacing is best from about year 5 onwards, because each crown becomes an expanding clump of roots and spears. 24in/60cm works here.
    Thomas your plants are probably young enough to move, with a large rootball of soil.

Thomas
    Participant

Thanks everyone,

Stringfellow they were transplanted into their final position in July 2016 on my allotment.

Charles do you mean 24″ in each direction, or just 24″ apart in each row?

Thomas

charles

My rows are 32″

JD
    Participant

For anyone maybe growing from seed or having an excess of plants I quite like Bob Flowerdew’s previous suggestion. He said he can’t wait 3 years to start cropping so he plants his plants much closer than you would think. The first year he crops everything off each alternate plant and leaves the others untouched. This causes the plant to die so you have wider spacing. Year 2 he does the same again with the same result. This leaves the remaining plants at the correct spacing to start cropping properly in year three. I like the idea, but I haven’t tried it.
    Good luck anyway
    Jan

Thomas
    Participant

Thanks Charles,

Interesting idea JD. I have one female plant in my collection which I will have to replace from seed.

Hopefully the rest will transplant ok.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags