Aubergines not growing

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Aubergines not growing

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Since I put my aubergine plants in the polly tunnel they really haven’t done much , just sat there? Is this normal? Or should I take a couple of them out and replace with grafted ones to ensure a crop?

charles

Bluebell its the weather mostly, too little sun. Yes you have more chance with grafted Black Pearl if you can find decent-sized plants.
    Do others have strong aubergine plants, in the UK?

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Charles . Hard to know if it is you or the weather the first time round!
    Off to invest in expensive grafted plants from garden centre tomorrow to ensure I have some aubergine to eat 😊

Leif
    Participant

My chillis are not exactly thriving. They are in beds under a coldframe. The indoor one overwintered from last year is podding like crazy.

bluebell
    Participant

Clearly it has effected everyone! Garden centre had no grafted ones left but tried to sell me ungrafted ones that looked worse than mine.
    Leif one of my sweet peppers is sulking too but I can live without sweet pepper

plantmark
    Participant

I have 2 grafted Aubergine and one non grafted in my greenhouse and none have done much. If anything the non grafted has progressed a little more.

charles

Its almost certainly from lack of warmth Mark, and avoid overwatering if they are growing so slowly, not every day.

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks Charles

Di
    Participant

Hi

My aubergines are growing, about 60-70cms tall, but the flowers aren’t setting fruit. Plenty of heat here in SW France with temps in low 30C so that’s not the issue.
    Can anyone suggest what might be the cause pls?

Di

charles

Lack of insects for pollination can cause this, it happened to me in the wet July of 2007, but not since. Have you grown successful aubergines before? What variety are they?

bluebell
    Participant

2 of mine have really picked up in the last week and are starting to flower (whoopee), there are 2 that look as if they are about to turn a corner and 3 that still look quite sad.
    Interesting to note that the best looking ones are in the middle of the tunnel on the west side, where they are presumably just a few degrees warmer than the ones nearer to the doors.

Di
    Participant

I have no lack of pollinators at all, and aubergines have been flowering for several weeks now but nothing setting, to date. the variety is De Barbentane which is common as chips here. I only have 2 plants as that will produce enough for us. Mind you, it’s the only plant with which i’ve shown constraint.

Everything from beans, cucumbers, raspberries, tomatoes to peppers and chillis are settings loads of lovely fruit so i’m stumped!

If we can safely leave out warm weather, steady watering and pollinators, what does it leave?

Di
    Participant

I should say that they are growing strongly and haven’t had any set-backs.

charles

How puzzling, clearly something is missing when they are not setting fruit
    My Black Pearl have set every flower, maybe try them for a change next year but meanwhile, try spraying seaweed liquid feed in case there is a micronutrient missing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags