Autumn Chicory for leaf – single plants or clumps?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Autumn Chicory for leaf – single plants or clumps?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

hi Charles,

Just looking to thin my chicory (for leaf over autumn/winter) in modules, got 3-4 plants per module at the moment,

I guess 1 plant will make for a stronger proposition for overwintering outdoors, or will a clump fare as well?

Dan

charles

Hello Dan, your chicory plants should be fine as singles or clumps so it depends whether you want smaller or larger leaves. It is more fiddly to pick leaves from clumps but I find the yield is slightly higher.

compostpope
    Participant

I have the same question about Pak Choi. I sowed 3 or 4 seeds per module (as they are an oriental vegetable) at the beginning of the month. They grew very fast and are now very leggy. I was considering pricking them out singly into other modules…

CP

charles

Good idea as pricking them out allows you to bury the stems and make them more sturdy. Then as single plants, it means you have fewer but larger leaves, so if they are for salad you could plant them closer (say 15cm) or 25cm for large leaves.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags