autumn-sown broad beans

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables autumn-sown broad beans

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello Charles, just wanted to check that you don’t cover autumn-sown broad beans at all through the winter? I tried to cover mine with fleece but didn’t work too well – straight on top it squashed the plants when they started to grow and raised on canes or hoops it seemed to damage the plants more by flapping in strong wind or collapsing with the rain.

What would you use fleece for, and do you always put it straight on top? Do you cover the ground with it after you’ve sown direct peas, lettuce, spinach etc. at this time of the year?

Thanks a lot

Antonia

charles

Yes Antonia, I cover almost everything I sow and plant from now on, for three or four weeks, to help establishment. New plantings especially, little leaves blowing in the cold wind otherwise. This is a spring for fleece, ultra!

And you are right I do not cover autumn sown beans, for the reasons you give! They are tough as boots and do not mind cold, as long as their stems are not too long when it is really frosty. You could sow more broad beans now if you have room. If you still have 50% surviving, they will tiller and make new stems.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags