Badgers ate my sweetcorn again

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Badgers ate my sweetcorn again

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sahira Ward 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

DeborahS
    Participant

Any success stories out there about how to keep marauding badgers off sweetcorn and other sweet treats? Yet again badgers from a nearby set trashed all my sweetcorn just as it reached perfection. I have an allotment on a council site.

charles

Sorry to hear this, they know when it is ripe and I have found badgers impossible to keep out and wonder if anyone else has ideas?

Sahira Ward

Hi DeborahS

My friend had badgers digging up her lawn for worms and she decided to put food out for them. I’ll find out what she used.

bogbean
    Participant

I had problems with badgers and chickens some years ago, even though the chicken run was fenced with chicken wire. In the end I put up an electric fence (white tape as used for horses) about 8 inches off the ground and connected it to a battery fencer. This kept them away. I now have major problems with deer coming into the garden and I have had to put a fence (5 foot high) all round the vegetable area – last year they jumped over that, so I put electrified tape above the wire netting fence and that stopped them. In fact, you only need to actually electrify it for a few days, but leave the tape in place and that alone will put them off. In other words, you could borrow a battery fencer for a week or so,rather than buying one.

DeborahS
    Participant

Thanks for this suggestion bogbean. In fact the one allotmenteer who didn’t lose his sweetcorn to badgers used an electric fence, so maybe I will think about giving it a go next season, before I abandon sweetcorn altogether.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags