Bags of Compost to fill beds

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Bags of Compost to fill beds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Converted no digger 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dominicjames
    Participant

Hi

I’m just starting off with growing vegetables . I’ve about 3 of Charles books . I have watched his videos countless times on YouTube , but I’m still a bit confused about using compost to fill beds.

Can I buy say bags of organic compost from a garden center and use this to fill a vegtable bed and start planting right away ?

Or I’m I confusing the term compost ?

I’d appreciate any help , I’m very keen to get my beds filled asap but I am hesitant because I’m not sure if I can do it in the above manner .

If I can I will buy the bags and fill the beds but like I said I’m worried I’m misunderstanding the term compost in Charles books and videos

Regards
    Dominic

Cleansweep
    Participant

Well you could but it will be expensive. Compost is any properly decomposed plant residue, ideally prepared on site in the described manner (see Charles’s books).However we all have the problem of needing more than we can produce, especially at first,so one may need to import additional materials or processed compost. Green waste compost from your local authority, prepared to PAS100 standard, could be used to advantage, and in bulk, is relatively affordable, the main cost is in transporting it, therefore your location is key to the amount you pay.

dominicjames
    Participant

Thank verh much .

I really appreciate it.

Yeah it is expensive. The one thing I like about it is knowing it’s organic or not got a lot of topsoil through it.

Since I’m starting the beds , I’m leaning towards doing this as it’s a once of and the yeild will be for years to come

Thanks again for clearing that up for me.

Dominic

Converted no digger
    Participant

It might be worth getting a sample of or going to see any green waste compost before you buy a big load.

From personal experience I bought a lorry load of certified organic compost and its full of shredded pieces of every kind of garbage you could imagine. Which shows up more after rain has washed off the compost from the bits.

The reply I got from the company was that it was under the standard they have to meet.

Luckily I was going spreading it by hand so I noticed it straight away.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags