Banana Shallots

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Banana Shallots

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ros 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Forgecroft
    Participant

I’d like to have a go at growing some, but am confused, some info says they grow like onions and don’t produce side bulbs, so do you grow from seeds? In which case I guess I’ve missed the boat? Some seeds catalogues are advertising sets, which is adding to my confusion?

charles

This is a good question because when I grew some from seed they looked rather like Long Red Florence onion, just smaller, but they did have some segregations under the outer skin, which makes them "shallot"! The description banana is a description of shape not flavour…

You are late for sowing seed but could plant some sets. Shallots would normally be growing well at this time of year but mine are not up yet.

Ros

I was somewhat reasured by seeing that you have yet to see growth on your shallots. After you sugested not to plant shallots til the middle of March I couldn’t wait so planted half of mine on 17th Feb and the other half about 2 weeks ago. I too was wonderi g when I would see any growth but am pleased to report that the February planted ones are just showing through. Today was the first fime I saw any green from them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags