Bare root strawberries

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Bare root strawberries

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

gj
    Participant

I have just been given 10, bare root plants. I am told they have been in cold storage since October. Can I plant these out now or would I be better to pot them up and plant next month. I do have a bed ready, just not sure of timing.

charles

Strawberries are hardy so they can go out now.
    Covering the bed with fleece is a good idea to help them develop more quickly, as they need to establish well, before flowering, to give you a worthwhile crop this year.

gj
    Participant

Thanks Charles, I’ll get them in on Saturday. I’ve got some fleece to cover them.

Richard1970
    Participant

Hi Guys
    I too have some bare rooted strawberries (senga gigana) but due too my allotment having 5 ton of farmyard manure laid over the soil back in October I have just got it all dug in with the bonus of 95% less weeds.
    I am wanting these to be in a slightly raised bed of 6 inches initially but will it be too late for these .
    My soil is on the clay side with stones and was not really giving anything in the form of manure by previous tenants for 5 years hence me laying a good 6 inch + all over the plot.

Thanks in advance
    Rick

charles

I am a bit confused about whether your compost is on top or dug in! Whatever, you can shape beds now, no need for sides, just shovel the loose surface matter from pathway to bed, as the paths go down and the beds rise up you can easily have 6 inches if you want that. Best of luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags