Bean/pea weevils on my dried broad beans

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Bean/pea weevils on my dried broad beans

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Allotmenteer
    Participant

Hi Charles

I harvested my broad beans a couple of weeks ago. I had planted a small podded variety last winter with the aim of mainly harvesting as dried beans.

After a rough shelling of the beans I left them in my kitchen to realise a few days later that lots of little weevils had been emerging from the beans leaving a little hole as proof (other than themselves!).

Will these weevils infest my other stored beans? Are the infested broad beans still edible? How could I prevent weevils from laying into beans before harvest? Also how do you prevent damage while in storage?

Many of my runner and french beans are now sited just next to where the broad beans grew and I really do not want the czar and borlotti to have the same fate as the broad beans!

Hoping you can advise..

charles

Weevils are not nice! However I don’t know whether those in your broad beans might infect the other beans.

In the garden, I doubt they will spread to the other beans, but cannot be certain.
    In the house, if all your harvested broad beans are infested, you may need to compost them, otherwise keep them in a sealed container to confine any possible weevils.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags