Beekeeping on allotments

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Beekeeping on allotments

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lizzy 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

stu
    Participant

After reading Charles’s recent monthly update I was wondering who keeps bees. I have this year started keeping bees on my plot. After doing a course I have 2 hives which are going very well. Luckily I have a mentor who is teaching me the ropes

lizzy
    Participant

Hi – I keep bees! I am a natural beekeeper and belong to the Oxfordshire branch of the Natural Beekeepers who are really great for support/ education/ social. (I did a conventional beekeeping course at the local Agricultural College but all those interventions are not for me)
    My plan was to put my 2 Warre hives on my allotment – however the person who has the plot next to mine made such a fuss about being scared of bees and not wanting any bees anywhere near that I had to put the bees in my garden. As this person lives 4 doors away there might still be a meet up with the bees but it is important that other allotmenteers are agreeable to bees onsite.
    However it does mean that I can spend a lot of time observing ‘my’ bees and I have learnt a lot just by observation. I was also in the garden when they swarmed and was able to follow them and get them back, and deal with robber bees, wasps and ants.
    Good luck but remember to listen to your bees.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags