Best Starter Veggies First Year

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Best Starter Veggies First Year

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

chris
    Participant

I know that one of the books I have mentions that Squash are a good veggie to plant in your first year beds. Are there any others that would do well to help build the soil for year 2?

I will be creating my no-dig beds this Spring but really plan on full production for some market growing the following year.

Would nitrogen fixers like Beans & Peas be beneficial?

Thanks.

charles

Hello Seegull, its not so much about “building soil” as growing whatever is happy in the surface-mulch conditions.
    So it depends on what compost you have used to mulch. If the top 5cm (@in) or so is fine, you can sow or plant any veg in the first year, or at least I do, with good results. I recommend squash for where the mulch is more lumpy, even for planting through holes in polythene.

chris
    Participant

Ok great thanks – I’m planning on adding a lot of compost to make the beds ( on top of manured grass & cardboard) and looking at two suppliers . I guess I’ll have to see what the tilth is of these composts beforehand.

Thanks again Charles.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi seegul,

I would follow Charles advise on initial bed/soil prep and mulch the area with 3 – 6″ of FYM.
    I usually start in these beds with early Potatoes and follow with Spring Cabbage. When I have harvested the Cabbage I apply 2 – 3″ of FYM/Compost for following crops. This effectively keeps the bed covered with crops for 12 months , March year1 to February year2. After you have applied the 2-3″ of well rotted FYM/Compost you are then ready for the Legumes , Alliums or roots for the rest of year2.
    If you follow this cycle your soil will be continually improving. I would strongly suggest reading any of Charles Books on no-dig for much more detailed info on the above.

Don.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags