big squash plant but only tiny squash?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables big squash plant but only tiny squash?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

PJ
    Participant

My Queensland Blue squash plant is growing like crazy (beyond its 3m x 1.5m bed) but only has one or two tiny squash on it… leaves look v healthy. Should I nip the growing tips to encourage it to put its energy into the fruit? I got the seedling from my neighbour whose squash are already 25 cm big. Wonder if its because I didn’t water mine?
    (On the positive side, the kuri squash plants I asked advice about previously re possible mosaic virus are doing v well with several squash coming along – so thanks for your advice on that, Charles! Glad I planted them up – they’re thriving)

charles

Not a water issue with all that growth, hard to say but yes cut off all ends, it may be too late to have rips squash.

PJ
    Participant

Hi Charles – thought it was worth updating this – on 1 Sept only 1 or 2 tiny squash – 6 weeks later on 12 Oct I harvested one solitary but humongous squash weighing over 10 kg – nature is incredible. (I did pinch off the growing tips in early Sept but it took off again in all directions.) Turns out it’s a Buttercup not a Queensland Blue – looking forward to a squash soup winter!

charles

Thanks for the update PJ! Great news, that is a lot of food. I wonder if it is Buttercup because they are smaller, more numerous squashes. Could be Queensland Blue, or Marina di Chioggia (both are dark green skin).

Suella
    Participant

I like in the Loughborough area but don’t know how relevant this location is. I have built a sturdy bean frame with chicken wire and allowed squash to climb up part of this. Would the elevation of the vines be counter indicated for the ripening of squash generally? Or are we far enough north that the idea might not work well?

It is a nuisance removing all the bean vines at the end or the season and I’ll probably find the same with the squash vines, but hoped to have your opinion on the practicality of saving space in this way.

Thanks for any comments you can make,
    Suella

charles

Hi Suella
    i have not noticed that elevation of squash plants and fruits leads to quicker ripening, or to increased yields per area, however squashes look nice when hanging downwards.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags