Biodegradable mulch film

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Biodegradable mulch film

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Karen Guthrie
    Participant

Hello there – Id be interested to know if anyone else has tried black biodegradable mulch film on top of bare soil or mulched soil? I tried some from Gardening Naturally last year on brassicas and celery. The supplier predicts a 16 week lifespan but mine lasted a good 6 months! It isn’t cheap or pretty but when you’ve insufficient organic mulch to go round (as I did) it could be a help to no-diggers !

charles

Hi Karen and thanks for this.
    My experience with “biodegradable” black polythene from maize starch was not good.
    1 It lets light through so is no use for killing existing weeds, unless you lay cardboard first, effectively using the polythene as a way to hold cardboard in place.
    2 It biodegrades in perhaps 5 years, or less in sunlight so you need to leave it out and watch the unbeautiful process! Mine looked the same after 4 months as when I laid it.
    3 It’s pricey, certainly compared to cardboard!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags