Bird/Butterfly Netting

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Bird/Butterfly Netting

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dazzerelli
    Participant

I’m looking for some netting to keep birds and butterflies off my Brassicas. The netting I currently use I find difficult to put into place as it is so springy. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for netting that was a more supple and blanket like and so easier to put in place?

charles

I use black, heavy duty (but light and flexible), anti-bird net from http://www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk and it lasts for many years. However pigeons can peck through it so support is needed. A simpler method is to cover beds with enviromesh, standard grade, no supports needed as plants can push it up, just a few weights along the side, not buried, so it is easy to remove for weeding. Rain passes through, most insects do not and birds cannot do any damage. 

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Thanks Charles, I think I’ll go down the enviromesh route as you suggest. The heavy duty anti-bird net looks to be just what I was initially after in terms of flexibility, however with the mesh size being 25mm does this keep out the butterflies?

charles

you are right, 25mm allows moths and butterflies. Standard grade enviromesh keeps out everything except aphids and a few tiddly insects.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags