Blackberries

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Blackberries

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lorraine lawrence 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jawilliams
    Participant

I planted a blackberry last year with poor results which I put down to it’s youth! But again this year it has delivered a poor crop. It’s was mulched and manured but it made no difference. It’s a bramble I thought I would just have to stick it in and away it would go.

charles

I wonder, maybe they like less rich soil, seeing how they grow in hedgerows with roots in competition with all those other plants. As you say, they are weeds! Anyone else doing well with garden blackberries?

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Mine are doing really well this year actually – I’ve got 2 plants, both about 4 years old, planted at my allotment.  I do mulch them and feed them a bit too – have to say I’m never sure whether I should be doing the feeding or not!  However, really good crop this year, much better than previous years.  Maybe it’s because they’ve been in a couple of years longer?

We have them growing in the hedge from a neighbours neglected and overgrown garden and they are amazing!

Barb

I mulch around my thornless blackberry with cow manure in November every year.  It is very vigorous and smothered in berries.  I cut down the fruited growth to ground level at the end of the harvest and replace with current year’s growth on the supports for fruiting next year.  Has anyone tried the new variety Reuben?  It’s growth is said to be similar to a raspberry.  I planted one last winter but growth has been weak.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags