Blackcurrant bush and raspberries

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Blackcurrant bush and raspberries

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jawilliams 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

Last year I purchased a blackcurrant bush and three raspberry bushes but did not find time to plant either in the garden, instead I temporarily planted them in pots.

I am presently clearing plants and a few shrubs to make way for a new raised bed and space for the fruit bushes. I have earmarked a spot by a fence for the blackcurrant bush (the only place it can go) and an area the raspberries (autumn fruiting) might just fit in.

I unfortunately cannot remember the variety of the blackcurrant but it is now about 2′ 6″ tall and shooting nicely with lots of buds near the base. Does it need cutting back to these low buds after planting or should I leave it alone? How much space should I (try to) allow it?

The raspberries have a small area just in front of the blackcurrant bush as I understand they do not like to be against a fence. What spacing should I aim to give them and am I likely to have problems with raspberry shoots coming up a distance away from the originals and possibly in my blackcurrant bush?

Many thanks

ElizaD

ElizaD
    Participant

Seeing lots of talk about rogue raspberry shoots on this site – can any one advise re the above post?

ElizaD

ElizaD
    Participant

Bumping up this post in the hope of some advice!

John
    Participant

Hi Eliza

I am no expert but my guess is that you are trying to fit too much into a small area. You can Google planting distances for blackcurrants and raspberries which will give an idea about likely spread. Autumn raspberries are notorious for spreading laterally and you might well end up with a thicket of canes in the middle of your currant. There is room for only one plant or row in a standard 1.2 wide metre raised bed with paths either side. I think it is too late to prune to the base, but perhaps others have a different view.

Here is a photo of a single blackcurrant and autumn raspberry canes planted in the winter.

soft fruit in raised bed

John

John
    Participant

second attempt at photo, firstly a link to my allotment blog …

soft fruit on raised bed

soft fruit

charles

I would trim the blackcurrant of all its basal shoots, keep it like a mini tree. Raspberries sucker like mad, give them two feet and be prepared to hoe/pull the suckers from next year, good luck.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thank you, John. Yes, I will always be trying to fit too much into too small a space! Needs must.
    Charles, I had not thought of trying the blackcurrant as a mini tree but will mull this over before planting. Interesting, have you tried this? Am I likely to get a reasonable harvest this way?

bluebell
    Participant

You could try growing them as espalier. I have a gooseberry that I grow in this way as it is easier to pick the fruit without getting scratched and it bears good crops.

jawilliams
    Participant

I shall be trying to tame my gooseberry this year. It’s bearing lots of fruit already -and very tasty they are too. However the thorns are agony! Any particular pruning advice welcome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags