Blackcurrants

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Blackcurrants

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ElizaD 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

Does anyone know why the new leaves on my Blackcurrants bush are shrivelling and drying to a crisp? There appears to be no insect present when I check the dried leaves and the very new leaf growth now coming on looks ok at present – don’t know if they will succumb too or if the shoots are growing out of the problem.

charles

Sorry to hear this Eliza, it sounds like big bud, a terminal disease I think. Usually on older bushes say 6+ years of age – try a google of big bud.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thank you Charles. I have googled and don’t think it is big bud. I have one older and one younger bush and the younger is the one with the new leaf problem. But it is fruiting ok. I plan to dig the bush up and check the roots later on, maybe vine weevil grubs have been at play. I get them on the strawberries (mostly in pots) and I’ve given up on the organic control -just too expensive. The pesky adults just wander back in from other gardens in any case. I just squash grubs and adults on sight and have the occasional search at night to deal with these very annoying critters. Will let you know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags