blackfly on broad beans

Community Community Garden Problems Pests blackfly on broad beans

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Apart from squishing between finger and thumb, are there any organic methods of getting rid of these pests. I have pinched out the tops but still have quite a few on several plants. I don’t have access to a hose so can’t blast them off. Any ideas anyone????
    Thanks

charles

You could water the plants, if possible, even washing the aphids off, and your soil perhaps needs more ‘beefing up’ as aphids are usually an indicator of plant stress, such as caused by dry conditions – which are exacerbated by relatively less organic matter in the soil. The dry spring has been favourable for  aphids but there are, thank goodness, a lot of ladybirds this year and the balance seems about right here at least.

Thanks Charles, I’ve been watering the bases of the plants rather than the whole plants but I’m afraid that I did have to rip up quite a few off of one bed as they got to the point where there was just no looking back!!. I have left the ones with the ladybirds on though so they at least have something to nibble on! I have been covering the beds with compost but maybe have to use a bit more. It also explains why I have other beds of beans that are not so badly infested as those beds have had a lot of compost on them and it goes to the other extreme where I have one bed of beans that are huge, brilliant growth, loads of flowers, no pests (not even bean weevil leaf nibbles). The bed has only just been made from permanent goat pasture with added goat manure, the seeds were also planted directly rather than pot grown, just goes to show that the soil has a lot to answer for – all the seeds were the same brand from the same supplier just grown in different areas!!
    Sara

Natures Babe

I agree with Charles, I have been adding as much organic matter to the soil as possible
    I also mulch and plant through the mulch as I am in the water starved south east, my beans are not stressed, tall healthy and no blackfly despite the lack of rain. I am going to remove the tips though to encourage plant energy to go into the beans instead of more growth and as the tips are are clean I can cook them as greens.

terryboots
    Participant

My broad beans (Crimson Flowered) in my light garden soil, were clear in May but are now affected by blackfly, though those at my more fertile allotment, on clay, (Martock) are OK so far. Not had much success with washing off but will continue trying and will add more compost. Both varieties were planted rather late but there’s been plenty of rain here NE Hants recently!

charles

Yes, despite lots of rain, suddenly the blackfly are around and I have noticed a few plant tips infected. No serious damage here and they do seem to prefer beans sown in April or May and on lighter or less composted soils. Pinching out tops is always worthwhile, once stems are flowering nicely.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags