Blackfly

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Blackfly

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ElizaD 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

Last year for the first time ever I grew fantastic broad beans from a previous November sowing. This to my husband’s great joy as he loves his broad beans. I had no problems and anticipated the same this year. However, now the whole crop is overrun with blackfly. I have tried washing off but a day or so later it’s as bad as ever. Also, this time last year we were eating them but not so this year. Obviously the cold spring didn’t help matters and lack of pollinators early on didn’t do much for the number of beans either. Anyone else been unlucky this year?

Eliza

Hazelky
    Participant

I pinched off my tops as I saw lots of ants and presumed they were farming the black fly but have not seen much of the black fly. The crop is fantastic this year from overwintered beans. Last year I had the black fly in droves and a smaller crop.
    Perhaps we have good years and bad years?

greengene
    Participant

I pinched the tops off my overwintering beans last week and those that survived the winter are loaded with pods. No sign of black fly – touch wood. Those are the beans growing in a sheltered spot between a greenhouse and hedge.

The beans in an open, sunny position finally gave up the good fight in April. The rain has just bought on my spring sowing so I hope they will catch up but at their previous rate of growth I would have been lucky to get a harvest before September.

charles

Eliza perhaps your plants are stressed by lack of moisture, either from too little organic matter in/on soil, or nearby hedge/trees sucking it out. Moisture stress is shown by aphids.

Rhys
    Participant

I picked out tops yesterday as blackfly had arrived, but also ladybirds were there too. As Charles says, this may be water stress, as we have had a very dry and warm period in May until last night’s thunder and lightning show. Here in NW London plenty of pods now visible but not yet ready to pick.

ElizaD
    Participant

Beans are in a prime site so nothing taking out moisture and plenty of organic matter went over them in November too. I am plagued with ants so this doesn’t help. I have watered through May but perhaps I should have watered earlier. Would have thought all the snow we had would have helped with the moisture content though. Interesting that others had blackfly problems last year but I had none. Pinched out tops but blackfly is everywhere. Reminds me of the year I grew lots of nasturtiums – it was an open party for blackfly the world over!

Eliza

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags