Bokashi?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I only recently stumbled upon the bokashi method of fermenting kitchen scraps and then composting them or burying them in the beds to feed for example tomatoes. I started my first bokashi bin and it’s happily fermenting. My garden is 600 km away from where I live so the bokashi bin allows me to collect green material, leave it to ferment and take it to my compost in the garden later.
    Did you have any experience with it? I found the link in Charles’ link section but found that it was a study supported by a company that sells EM (effective micro organisms). For people using it: Do you make your own “sauce” and if so, is it really neccessary to start a new solution from what they call EM-1 or is it possible to reproduce it from EM-a? Having studied biology I don’t see why a solution with microbes couldn’t be reproduced the same way …

charles

Claudia, is the link you refer to this one https://www.agriton.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Bosch_short_paper_for_UV2016-0827.pdf? Because I cannot see that it is funding by sellers of EM.
    However it’s flawed for assuming that traditional compost making involves repeated turning.
    I dislike the Bokashi approach for having to dig out a trench.
    I see no reason why you might not propagate your own microbes.

Charles, thanks for sharing your opinion on bokashi. If I had my garden nearby, I probably wouldn’t consider bokashi.
    One of the others of the study works for Agriton. Agriton is an authorized manufacturer of the effective micro organisms in the netherlands. They even own the domain bokashi.nl

charles

Ah I see and that is helpful to know, thanks Claudia.
    Frustrating too as that paper is written in the guise of a “scientific study”.
    I was amazed by their assumptions and now this makes more sense!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags