Borad beans and garlic

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Borad beans and garlic

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gill 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gill

I Live in the south of France, my soil is clay which is like concrete in the summer months. For the last few years I have rotavated muck into my garden and had fairly good results, however, I do get lots of weeds! This year, I have got my hands on 2 big trailer loads of 2 year old sheep and cow muck, I have already started wheel barrowing loads onto my garden, leaving it about 6inches deep I intend to cover it with cardboard and over winter. However, my question is, it is now time to plant my garlic, onions and broad beans, do I plant into my existing soil which is very hard and dry then add the muck on top, if so how many inches of muck or do I plant my onions, garlic and broad beans into the 2 year old muck and compost?
    I am so looking forward to the coming year in my veg patch using the no dig method.
    Thanks for any replies.

charles

Nice to have news from France! I grew on clay in the Lot et Garonne, boulbene in fact, and no dig suits it well, such horrible soil to hoe and cultivate.
    Six inches is a thick layer and too much to put over garlic cloves and bean seeds so they will be better planted into it, or plant them just in shallow holes in the existing soil surface, then cover with just two or three inches of manure.
    I wonder whether you need the cardboard on top. The manure should cover all existing weed growth and as it is well rotted there will be little leaching of nutrients. Leaving it exposed to weather will speed breakdown of surface lumps and give a reasonable tilth by spring, especially if you use a rake or manure fork to knock it around a little on any fine days in late winter.

Gill

Thanks for that, most of the manure is alrady quite crumbly with just the odd dried clump. I guess when we finaly get some rain it will help break them down too.

charles

Yes that is another advantage of spreading manure and compost now. Dry lumps spread in spring can stay lumpy for much of the summer!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags