Borlotto Beans not climbing

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Borlotto Beans not climbing

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jacqui
    Participant

I have grown Borlotto Beans for the first time this year. I have grown Climbing French beans and Runner beans before.
    I bought the seed from Chase Organics, the packet says Climbing French Bean Borlotto Lingua di Fucoo.
    I sown them along with French Bean Blauhilde, Runner Bean Czar and Runner Bean Firestorm in root trainers on 21st April in the greenhouse.
    I germinate them on wet kitchen paper first in the boiler cupboard until they start to sprout
    They were planted out on 10th May under fleece for a couple of weeks. 6 plants of each along a doble row of bean sticks.
    We went away on holiday from 11th June for one week. Before we went away all the beans were just started to climb the sticks. Since we returned I have noticed the Borlotto beans appear to be becoming bushy but not climbing up the sticks.
    Is this normal? Or are the beans not stick beans but a dwarf variety.

I have attached a photo . The Borlotto beans are the ones nearest to the Courgettes.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jacqui
    Participant

second picture.
    Thank you for any advice .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Borlotti are available as both dwarf and climbing varieties – what does the packet say Jacqui, or did it go in the bin like mine often do straight after being emptied!?

Stringfellow
    Participant

Apologies, the packet says climbing! Could be a mix up as mine sown in May are climbing away, albeit steadily, especially compared to the czar.

charles

I find it’s potentially confusing with Borlotti beans that there are the two types.
    Jacqui if you have a few seeds left of the ‘climbing’ ones, why not sow them just to check?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags