Boxes to grow winter salads in poly tunnel

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Boxes to grow winter salads in poly tunnel

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

chris
    Participant

I’m getting ready to grow some salad and greens in boxes like in your video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FXgNI9_ZHw

I read in your book that you line the trays or boxes with newspaper but it looks like you also use cardboard – have you found either one more effective?

Getting my starts going this week for transplant in later September.

charles

Chris, I now prefer paper, reckon it takes less goodness from the compost. Two sheets is enough, then as they decompose the plants’ root structure holds the compost in place

Hawfinch
    Participant

I’ve just rewatched the video, and one thing I don’t quite understand, why do you grow the lettuces et al. in boxes and not in the soil? Wouldn’t they be better protected against frosts there? Otherwise very interesting to see what one can grow during the cold months.

One thing that always intrigues me is that coriander grows in cold weather, as I originally know it from Southwestern China, or that it is a main ingredient in Thai cooking, where the climate is so much hotter than ours.

chris
    Participant

Thanks Charles – paper it is.

Hawfinch – yeah it is interesting that cilantro is a cold weather veg – I have issues germinating it in the summer when I want a ton of it for salsa. That being said I just put in 2 beds of cilantro and its germinating fine now that the nights are cooler.

charles

Yes so coriander seeds in summer and waits for cooler nights to get going.
    Hawfinch, the video is to encourage those who don’t have spare ground, also the boxes make use of empty greenhouse staging, and are convenient for nipping out to pick a few leaves.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags