Broad bean – biodynamic sowing

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Broad bean – biodynamic sowing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dan hazelrowan 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Was going to sow my spring broad beans this afternoon – but went on a walk on the moor instead! Very nice it was too!

But now I am faced with an interesting biodynamic quandary..

Looking at my maria thun calendar i see this afternoon was a fruit day! Good for broad beans

Next fruit day is in a week monday 24th

So the biodynamic question is… Is it worth delaying sowing by a week or just get them in the ground asap?

Which benefit outweighs which? BD fruit day benefit or an extra week in the ground, but on root day.

I’m sorry i know this is rather trivial (perhaps) , maybe good to ponder on rainy days, but i think it is interesting in terms of decisions one makes when following the BD calendar!

Dan

ashleigh
    Participant

i also get myself in these kinds of knots! i am trying to relax more about it this year.

i try to think in terms of – strong roots are beneficial for all plants, so it doesn’t harm to sow anything on a root day.

and flowers and fruit could be interchangable as one is dependent on the other

you can always try later to transplant and otherwise tend to things on their correct days, plus maria thun didn’t seem to care at all what days things were sown, only the transplant day.

charles

You both make interesting points. Dan I think that as later sowings tend to catch up in spring (within reason), waiting is fine.

Ashleigh I do not agree with some of your claims here, such as MT being unconcerned about sowing date. I understand the opposite, that sowing date is key, its the plant’s horoscope, and can later be somewhat modified by planting, hoeing etc.
    On the other hand, sowing in good weather at the right time of year, in good soil or compost are more important than moon sowing-dates.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Yes, i think number one priority is good soil and right sowing date,

Perhaps the biodynamic calendar is more a potentiation of personal intention , which maybe is more important than actual astrological circumstances , who knows?

If it works on an astrological level then great! If it works because it catalyses the gardener to focus on sowing on a deeper level then also great! If it is a useful calendar then great! etc

Interesting questions arise from the interaction between gardener and plants –

http://www.masaru-emoto.net/english/water-crystal.html

plants and indeed ourselves are mostly water!

As it happens i sowed my broad beans on saturday, a flower day – but it was a convenient time for me to do the sowing, it was dry so i took the opportunity! :) and most importantly i was happy doing so!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags