Broad Beans

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jack
    Participant

Hello Charles,
    I am currently debating whether to sow my broad beans in root-trainers on the windowsill now, move them out into my unseated greenhouse and harden them off before planting them out in March OR sow them direct into a no-dig raised bed at the end of March. Have had varied success which broad beans in the past. Which would be the better option.
    Any advice and tips would be very useful

charles

Not much in it. Harvests will be a little earlier from sowing in root trainers now, but its extra work and mess perhaps on the windowsill, when you can sow the outside from early March.
    An issue is rodents, if they are in your plot they sometimes eat beans before emergence.

compostpope
    Participant

You could do both! – sow most outside and a few inside to plug the gaps in the outside rows where a few inevitably fail to show. It might also spread your cropping season.

Jack
    Participant

Thank you Compostpope – I think that’s what I’ll do. Some will inevitably fail to germinate so it would be good to have spares.

ElizaD
    Participant

Hello Charles and fellow gardeners,
    I an thinking of growing some broad beans – not for myself as I’m not that keen on them but my hubby likes them. Is it worth sowing in Oct/Nov in Somerset? If so, when is the optimum time and what varieties would you recommend?

Many thanks, Eliza.

charles

In SW England, sow mid November, Aquadulce is good, also De Monica. In N UK, sow early November.
    October sowing, often recommended for some reason, is too early and results in tall plants that are then frosted or wind damaged.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thanks, Charles. I will order some of your recommended and have a go then.

ElizaD
    Participant

Sorry, forgot to ask, I presume the November sowing is directly in the ground? How long before you see growth roughly?

ElizaD
    Participant

And, in addition to the query above, what is the optimum spacing in a 4ft wide raised bed? Should I sow spares to fill any gaps and when is the best time to move the spares?

ElizaD
    Participant

Hello Charles and everyone

I’m about to sow the Aquadulce Claudia broad beans and cover them with a mulch of compost. I had two queries above and could use the advice.

Can I sow some in pots and put in my plastic greenhouse to fill any gaps next year? If so, when should I plant them in my raised beds?

Ideal spacing in 4ft sq raised beds is what please? And, when should I see growth ( so I know the beans haven’t fed the mice).

Also, I have some rock dust – is this best applied at this time of year or Spring? If now, is it best applied under the compost mulch or on top of it?

Many thanks, Eliza

charles

You need one of my books!
    Spacing 4x18in, sow in large modules as well as direct to fill gaps after 4-5 weeks, or repot to plant Feb-March, emergence often takes 3-4 weeks, yes spread rockdust before compost

ElizaD
    Participant

Thanks Charles,

Sunday hopefully is my planting day as the forecast for Saturday looks fairly dire.

By the way, I have three of your books, two of which are out on loan (thanks for reminding me)! The one I have left is the salad leaves which is the one I have had my nose stuck in for the last salad sowings. My salad stuff is still going well outside with no protection, not sure how long it will keep going now, better find out some fleece on Sunday too!

Eliza

ElizaD
    Participant

Hello Charles and all,

Being a novice grower of broad beans, and wanting to chance my arm with an Autumn sowing, I sowed Aquadulce Claudia 4″ apart and only 12″ between rows. I expected to lose quite a lot and I suppose this is still possible but at the moment all but about three plants are looking good. Do you think I should thin them? I will in any case wait until the end of the month in case of bad weather.

Thanks,
    Eliza

charles

If they are all present in late March, I would take out every other plant. They crop so much better when given space and picking is easier.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thanks, Charles.
    I was wondering, could I take out every other plant and transplant them? Would they transplant now? If so, how long should I wait – still end of March or do it sooner?

Eliza

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags