Can chard roots be left in the ground?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Can chard roots be left in the ground?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ElizaD 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

My chard has gone to seed and I have started lifting the plants only to discover that they have considerable roots as shown in the photo. I know that you leave lettuce roots in the ground but could I leave the chard roots, just cutting the plants at ground level? There is the issue about minimising soil disturbance but I am also wary of adding roots, with bits of soil attached, to my compost bin because of the danger of spreading onion white rot which seems to be a problem in many of my beds. I wouldn’t follow with a sown crop like carrots, but rows of cut flowers would fit in between the old chard rows. The flowers would keep Kath happy!

Best wishes

John

charles

I would not leave them as they are in “flowering mode” and will be setting seeds soon, so you are heading for a seed crop, fine if that is what you want.

John
    Participant

Thank you. I think there might be a misunderstanding. The idea would be to cut the tops off at soil level and remove to the compost heap but leave the roots in the ground; or would they sprout again?

ElizaD
    Participant

Hi John, Charles and all,

I would be interested to know if it’s ok to leave the roots in the ground too as I have been putting off removing my leaf beet as I remember the effort it took to get the roots out of the bed last year. Never realised they went so deep! Would be much easier to cut them off at around ground level and plant around them if this is possible.

Thanks, Eliza

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags