Carpet mulch for paths

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Carpet mulch for paths

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Katieire 6 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Katieire
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m planning my first no dig bed. I have old newspapers to go under the thick compost layer but I was wondering if it would be ok to use carpet as mulch for the paths? I have some available and I was thinking it’s surely on of the least likely things to blow away!
    The area I’ll be making the bed in is really poor pasture at the moment, mostly creeping buttercup, moss and soft rush with some grass too. I tried double digging a bed about 5 years ago and the buttercup took over so quickly it was a complete disaster. I’m hopeful this will be more of a success.

Karen Guthrie
    Participant

Hi – though Charles uses mainly sawdust for paths I do use some carpet strips secured with homemade fence wire staples – works well but you need to weed edges and watch for lurking slugs !

Katieire
    Participant

Thanks Karen, how long do you leave the carpet down? I’ll definitely keep an eye out for slugs.

charles

For me, one season max to kill perennial weeds. Most carpet has stuff in we don’t want too much of in the garden.
    Long term, woody mulches are good, once perennial weeds are gone.

Katieire
    Participant

Thanks Charles, good point. I’ll leave it down for a few months and then replace it with something else.

Sandra
    Participant

I have been sorting out my veggie garden and was doing well until today which has been sea mist/low cloud/fog I’m not quite sure what it is but it is flipping cold. I went off to have a look at grades of sawdust available at a local saw mill and got a trailer full for my paths, so at least I managed to get something done toward the garden. I have been assured that it is safe to use, whether it will stay on the paths remains to be seen.

Katieire
    Participant

Good work Sandra. I’ve decided to start with the carpet for a few months, I might as well use it when I have it available, rather than trying to source something else. I hope it won’t be too rainy because if muddy water starts seeping though I cant’t put down anything on top of it. Definitely don’t want to end up with buried carpet!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags