Carrots etc in containers

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Carrots etc in containers

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Leif 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Leif
    Participant

I have heavy clay soil, albeit with lots of compost added. Anyway, carrots and other veg tend to germinate late as the soil is slow to warm. I have a thick concrete path next to the rear wall of my house, which is SSW facing, so nice and sunny. I know from experience that chillis do better in containers against this wall than elsewhere as it is a good heat sink. Would carrots (etc) do better in large containers against this wall than in beds? I’m thinking I could sow some carrots earlier in these containers, to get some early food, and the beds would be for the main crop. I have some containers that are about 60cm across. They were for strawberries, but I prefer strawberries to be grown in beds.

stu
    Participant

As far as growing carrots in containers go last yr I grew early Nantes in half a water butt in leaf mould and multi purpose and spent coffee grounds and they were the best I’ve ever had and will be doing it again this year

zuf
    Participant

Go for it! Put some good compost in the containers and you will be fine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUoaSeOko3s

Leif
    Participant

Thanks. Did you get an earlier crop?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags